Distressed IT Project Recovery Assistance
The success of your projects depends upon the skill and quality of your project management. Assigning highly capable Project Management to a project is not optional. According to a landmark research report by The Standish Group, 31.1% of projects will be cancelled before they are completed. Of those projects that survive to completion, results indicate 52.7% will cost over 189% of their original estimates. These failures result in millions of dollars of unnecessary expense and important business opportunities missed.
The skills, experience, and knowledge of your Project Management team will determine the success or failure of work to which they are assigned. They are responsible for:
- Project budgetary management
- Employee utilization and productivity
- Development of new product core functions
- Product enhancements successfully completed
- Communications with Stakeholders
- The morale of individuals on the project teams
- Problem identification and mitigation
- Appropriate documentation and reports
The Project Manager role is the most important assignment for any project. However, it can occasionally be relegated to an individual who lacks the experience, training, focus on detail, and perseverance to ensure deadlines are met and issues are addressed. When problems occur, issues must be addressed quickly and effectively before they jeopardize project success.
Since Project Management can be a complex, detail oriented, highly demanding job, occasionally project problems can start to overwhelm the internal project management staff.
When this occurs it has a snowball effect, causing such problems as:
Clearly keeping a project under tight control is beneficial both to the project being developed and for the company as a whole. Sometimes, just putting “a fresh set of eyes” on the issues can yield immeasurable benefits.
- Slipping delivery dates
- Budget overruns
- Rescheduling issues and vendor coordination problems
- Increasing testing errors and reworks
- Loss of morale among project team members
- Upset and/or angry Stakeholders
Data Center Enhancements Inc. can provide seasoned, highly disciplined Project Managers who have specialized in bringing in successful IT projects, and have the track record to prove it. When the project outcome is critical, let our experts do the hard work. We will work closely with Senior Management, project Stakeholders, and the implementation team to ensure all issues are identified, logged, and addressed in a timely fashion.
We will provide one or more Senior Project Management specialists to work closely with Program Management and the affected Project Manager to re-validate all parameters of the problem project and determine how it can best be brought back under control. Some steps include:
- Review the project to confirm it has well-defined goals that align with business objectives
- Confirm project goals and expectations with project Stakeholders and Management
- Examine the Issues and Problems logs to identify any recurring problem areas
- Interview project team members to solicit their opinions for how to revitalize the project
- Review budgets and timelines to ensure they reflect realistic expectations
- Document and report findings; provide project recommendations to rectify problems
The goal of our team is not to replace the internal project management structure, but to assist them in troubleshooting, refurbishing, and reenergizing challenged projects.
If you’re ready to tackle your distressed IT project challenges head-on, please give us a call at (630) 513-9747. However if you know something needs to be done about a distressed IT project but are struggling with where to start, we have assessment programs that can provide the information necessary to make good decisions. Please give us 30-minutes to help you bring clarity to this difficult situation.